The following installation guide will cover a basic install of System Center Operations Manager 2016 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016.
In this article, we will be deploying a single Operations Manager that will contain all components of the solution on a single server. However, in a corporate environment, the administrator will plan to distribute the roles and design high availability to the monitoring system.
Single server deployment of Operations Manager
The single server management scenario combines all the management group roles that can coexist onto a single server running as a member server in an Active Directory domain. This instance can be on dedicated hardware or on a virtual computer. You can deploy the Operations console to computers other than the single server, and access the web console with a browser.
You deploy Operations Manager in a single-server management group when you want to use it for evaluation, testing, and management pack development, usually in a lab, development, or non-production environment.
Reference link:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/deploy-single-server?view=sc-om-2019
Operations Manager services
The single server management group configuration supports the following services:Monitoring and alerting
- Monitoring and alerting
- Reporting (available in the Operations console but not in the web console)
- Audit collection
- Agent-less exception management
- Data (accessed by using the web console and the Operations console)
My LAB environment Setup
I have hosted all the servers in Hyper-V and Windows Server 2016 has been installed as the base OS for all Servers.
Installed two Windows 2016 servers for AD & SCCM
AD server Name : ADS01(Configured Active directory Domain services,DNS & DHCP)
Domain Name: VCLOUD.COM
SCOM Management Server Name : SCOM01 (SQL 2016 installed on the same Server)
Operations Manager service accounts
As part of the installation process, we must create the Service Accounts/Security Group from AD which will be used during Operations Manager installation
- DOMAIN\OMSAA OM Server Action Account
- DOMAIN\OMDAS OM Config and Data Access Account
- DOMAIN\OMREAD OM Datawarehouse Reader Account
- DOMAIN\OMWRITE OM Datawarehouse Write Account
- DOMAIN\MSSQL SQL Service Account
- DOMAIN\OMAdmins OM Administrators security group( Add the OMSAA, OMDAS, OMREAD, and OMWRITE accounts to the “OMAdmins” global group)
SCOM server Prerequisites
1.Install Web Server Roles
Open Powershell and run the following command to Install required Web Server roles (IIS)
Add-WindowsFeature Web-Server, Web-WebServer, Web-Common-Http, Web-Default-Doc, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Static-Content, Web-Health, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Performance, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Security, Web-Filtering, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-App-Dev, Web-Net-Ext, Web-Net-Ext45, Web-Asp-Net, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Mgmt-Tools, Web-Mgmt-Console, Web-Mgmt-Compat, Web-Metabase, NET-Framework-45-ASPNET, NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45, WAS, WAS-Process-Model, WAS-Config-APIs
2.Install Microsoft CLR Types for SQL Server 2014
3.Install Microsoft Report Viewer 2014 Runtime
Install SQL 2016
In My lab, I have installed SQL 2016 on the same SCOM01 server. below are the step by step installation.
- Run setup, choose Installation > New SQL Server stand-alone installation…
- When prompted for
feature selection, install ALL of the following:
- Database Engine Services
- Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search
- Reporting Services – Native
- On the Instance configuration, choose a default instance, or a named instance. Default instances are fine for testing, labs, and production deployments. Production clustered instances of SQL will generally be a named instance. For the purposes of the POC, choose default instance to keep things simple.
- On the Server configuration screen, set SQL Server Agent to Automatic and type respective domain service account & password.
- Check the box to grant Volume Maintenance Task to the service account for the DB engine. This will help performance when autogrow is needed.
- On the Account provisioning tab – add your personal domain user account and/or a group you already have set up for SQL admins. Alternatively, you can use the OMAdmins global group here. This will grant more rights than is required to all OMAdmin accounts, but is fine for testing purposes of the POC.
- On the Data Directories tab – set your drive letters correctly for your SQL databases, logs, TempDB, and backup.
- On the Reporting Services Configuration – choose to Install and Configure. This will install and configure SRS to be active on this server, and use the default DBengine present to house the reporting server databases. This is the simplest configuration. If you install Reporting Services on a stand-alone (no DBEngine) server, you will need to configure this manually.
- Choose Install, and setup will complete.
- When you complete the installation – Install SQL Server Management Studio Tools separatly to access the database.
SCOM 2016 Step by Step Installation
Now we will start the SCOM installation, First extract setup file from the downloaded source. Once extraction complete, Run the setup now.
On the SCOM 2016 setup screen, Click Install (In order to get the latest update you can choose Download Check box and its an optional)
Here I am going to install all the features, select all the below features
Setup will verify hardware and software requirements
All prerequisites Passed, Click Next
Since its an new installation, Select Create the first management Server and Provide Management Group Name (Here i have used OPS-MGR)
Accept the license terms and click Next.
Provide Server Name and Instance Name and Click Next
Specify Server name and Click Next
Choose the SQL server instance for reporting services and click Next.
Select Default Web Site and click Next.
Select Mixed Authentication and click Next.
Enter respective Created service accounts as per below
You can choose use microsoft update to check for updates option If you enable internet, Otherwise Choose Off
Final check before you click Install.
Installation In progress
Setup is successfully Completed now and we have installed evaluation version of operations manager, hence its showing warning for management server
Lanch SCOM 2016 Console now. Below is the SCOM console View
Click Help > About to See the SCOM version. We have successfully installed SCOM 2016 now.
Thank you 🙂 Will post the configuration part soon.